Monday, April 04, 2011

Iron Leg (Mickey and the Soul Generation) 2011


"Iron Leg" (Mickey Foster and the Soul Generation)
Ink, acrylic, pop can bottoms, and found wood on serving tray and cookie sheet

Mickey and Soul Generation were one of thee first albums that got me into old school funk and soul. I was a long time fan of the organ groove/soul jazz/ Dr. Smith/Jimmy Smith/and of course Booker T. thing, but this was something new and fresh. It had those bubblin' organ grooves, but was served with a side of grit and looseness...killer stuff!
I wanted to do this painting on a old muffin tin, but the thrift stores were fresh out, so I made my own out of an old cookie sheet and pop can bottoms. Mickey is painted on a very fancy mini-serving tray. This is one of those pieces done during paint night, where only non-project oriented pieces can be worked on...kinda like the old days at Kent, with "passion night" as we called it. This one's for you Doug and Jerry!

No comments: